[opensource-dev] Proposal: Howto add a new feature to snowglobe.

Morgaine morgaine.dinova at googlemail.com
Sat Mar 20 23:37:56 PDT 2010

Dzonatas, first of all, it's important to be clear that VWRAP has not yet
written up anything concerning handling of objects or avatar meshes, so this
post at most reflects some of the informal discussions that we've been
having on the topic.  Bear that in mind here.

VWRAP is intended to be an interop protocol for virtual worlds.   Defining
the worlds or the viewers themselves is entirely outside of the scope of the
VWRAP working group.  Although the following is somewhat self-referential,
it is perfectly correct to say that the only requirement that VWRAP will
place on virtual worlds or on viewers is to be VWRAP-compatible, in other
words to be able to speak the protocol.  And what's more, the protocol is
intended to be extensible so that it can cope with worlds and viewers
evolving as the VW scene matures.

This addresses your question rather indirectly.  Neither object meshes nor
avatar meshes are likely to be defined in VWRAP, because that would hardwire
them in.  Instead, VWRAP decouples as much as possible into *services*, and
addresses how those services can be accessed.  All digital objects are
likely to be stored in services, and this includes all mesh types of
course.  As a result, it is very likely that VWRAP will be transparent in
respect of the avatar (and object) meshes it can handle --- it will be a
matter for the viewer to be able to render a particular world's avatar mesh
if a world supplies it.

Note that we cannot know at this time whether the evolving metaverse will
standardize on particular forms of avatar, and of course we would not wish
to constrain users of the protocol to the current low quality avatars
either.  That creates a very strong requirement for avatar agnosticism.
It's worth highlighting again that by focusing on *services* we can avoid
prescribing anything in this area, while being able to transport to the
viewer whatever the services choose to offer.

Morgaine.