[opensource-dev] Third party viewer policy: commencement date

Tayra Dagostino tayra.dagostino at gmail.com
Sun Mar 21 08:28:19 PDT 2010

On Sun, 21 Mar 2010 23:05:29 +0800
"Boy Lane" <boy.lane at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Again, I completely agree with you. I can develop any viewer based on
> the Linden sources and be GPL compliant.
>
> But, what I can not do it is to be compliant to GPL and TPV the same
> time. As such the otherwise legitimate GPL
> viewer will not be allowed to connect to the SecondLife grid. Which
> makes the first attempt pointless.

no.....

you are a developer? you follow GPL and no other, nobody force you in
other way

you want your viewer listed in viewer directory of LL? your viewer
should follow some rules

the two sides must be masjed with a AND operator, you are putting TPV
before GPL, is the opposite. TPV don't limit neither restrict neither
violate GPL, why TPV is a bundle of rules about LL services.

example: ICEWEASEL is gpl, but http stack follow IEEE standards, so
Iceweasel broke GPL?

you can develop your virewer looking only GPL, TPV don't touch your
source code modification or ownership, TPV is "whatever" connecting LL
grid, GPL or not.

i don't understand your poiting against TPV vs GPL, is a unusefull and
stupid battle like Cherry vs Potato...

in which way your GPL capabilities should be broken if you complain to
TPV? if a name restriction disallow your product to connect to LL grid
mean GPL is broken? no, GPL still valid, your viewwer will connect
other grids, you are totally free