[opensource-dev] Third party viewer policy: commencement date

Ryan McDougall sempuki1 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 22 05:04:29 PDT 2010

Although the text of the TPV policy doesn't mention this, to protect
developers who don't want their viewer to be subject to the unnamed
penalties of said policy, Joe himself has said the following:

"[The TPV policy] only governs viewers that actually do connect to the
SL grid, not those that are capable of doing so (but don't.)"

I'm not sure how reassured I should be.

The thing I don't get is why LL gets to use all these fancy legalisms
to protect themselves, but when we get nervous about it, they reply
"hey, don't be suspicious -- assume we mean well!" Sorry but when you
play the legalism game, drawing lines in the sand, saying "we have to
protect ourselves" -- it cuts both ways. This should have been a
consultation process to begin with, not a big ol' lawyering up, then
push it out the door effective Apr 30th.

Cheers,