[opensource-dev] "vendor" branch and Snowglobe 2.0

Philippe (Merov) Bossut merov at lindenlab.com
Mon Mar 22 21:28:21 PDT 2010

Hi Carlo,

On Thu, Mar 18, 2010 at 4:19 AM, Carlo Wood <carlo at alinoe.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 05:52:55PM -0700, Philippe (Merov) Bossut wrote:
> > Long Story
> > I'm pretty much done with all the export script writing now and I'm
> moving to
> > make all that live so that updates from the viewer trunk come in more
> regularly
> > and automatically.
>
> "regulary" doesn't mean that commits by internal developers are merged
> before committed, or that their commit messages are lost, is it?
>
> Ie, if at 15:00 Foobar Linden commits 5 lines with the text "Don't sleep(1)
> here",
> then I'm happy with that being delayed 24 hours, but I'd really still
> like to see it committed to snowglobe (whatever trunk) as a single
> commit of 5 lines with the same comment (and WHO did that commit).

The export to the vendor branch will be frequent, at least daily, possibly
for each successfully building commit so we avoid breakage. Since we're
exporting from hg to svn, we needed to write some script to extract those
messages and add them to the commit message. We worked on that over the
weekend with CG and I tested today that it's working.

Still, when doing svn merge weekly on the Snowglobe trunk, those messages
are lost again. This is annoying.

I've been toying with the idea of ditching svn after all and use hg also for
the exported repo. This is pain though since it's really not an 'hg clone'
(not possible in the current state of the internal repo) but at least it
will make the message issue disappear when pulling the vendor branch in the
trunk.

The more I think about it, the more I think it's a better idea despite the
annoying export step. That'd definitely be closer to what you're describing.

Cheers,
- Merov