[opensource-dev] Open Development project: extendingavatar wearables

Carlo Wood carlo at alinoe.com
Thu Mar 25 11:12:26 PDT 2010

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 01:48:39PM -0400, Nyx Linden wrote:
> My initial answer to that request is "we don't have time to implement
> that right now", but I'd be happy to have a more in-depth technical
> discussion as to how that could be implemented in the future. If the
> community is able to come up with a proposed implementation where layer
> order is truly arbitrary, regardless of wearable type, without damaging
> the intuitiveness of the user interface or expanding required
> development time too far, I'd love to go over such a proposal.

This seems rather trivial... just allow one to explicitely
drop a wearable in any folder (ie, a shirt in a jacket folder),
after which you can move it up and down "as usual" (what you
implement right now).

How have a new problem however: Why not allow to tuck jackets in?
That means: a jacket having an abitrary order related to shirts
and other jackets is fine, but even if it goes over all other
jackets, you might still want to put it below the pants.

Since a jacket is currently the only wearable that extends over
two textures (apart from the new "tatoo" containing three textures,
and the skin, both of which kinda make sense to always be on
the bottom), it make sense to have, or NEED, an ordering relative
to pants too! After all, both pants and jackets have a lower-texture!

For example (top layer on top):

* jacket Y (not tucked in)
* jacket X (tucked in)

Just means for the LOWER texture, this ordering:

* jacket Y (not tucked in)
* pants
* jacket X (tucked in)

There should be an ordering between jackets and pants
as well thus, which is entirely missing in your current proposal.

Perhaps a solution is to add a pseudo item in the "jackets"
category that appears as a horizontal line, and where things
below the line are tucked in, and above it are not:

shirts:
    * shirt

jackets:
     * jacket Y
     ----tucked in-----
     * jacket X

pants:
     * pants

Otherwise it is not unlikely that the vendors will (have to)
resort to a hack where selling jackets also as pants+shirts,
so users can choose to tuck them in or not.

--
Carlo Wood <carlo at alinoe.com>