[opensource-dev] A note on preserving "NO WARRANTY" for SL TPV developers

malachi malachi at tamzap.com
Tue Mar 30 08:31:54 PDT 2010

just my 2 cents.....

* Second Life Viewer Source Code
  * The source code in this file ("Source Code") is provided by Linden Lab
  * to you under the terms of the GNU General Public License, version 2.0
  * ("GPL"), unless you have obtained a separate licensing agreement
  * ("Other License"), formally executed by you and Linden Lab.  Terms of
  * the GPL can be found in doc/GPL-license.txt in this distribution, or
  * online at http://secondlifegrid.net/programs/open_source/licensing/gplv2

TPV policy is irrelevant..... the license in which we were given the
code clearly states as is seen at the web URL listed above that......

Also, for each author's protection and ours, we want to make certain
that everyone understands that there is no warranty for this free
software. If the software is modified by someone else and passed on, we
want its recipients to know that what they have is not the original, so
that any problems introduced by others will not reflect on the original
authors' reputations.

You may not impose any further
restrictions on the recipients' exercise of the rights granted herein.

so just my 2 cents but since i recieved the code under GPL there isnt a
dang thing Linden Lab or anyone else can do to me legally for created a
client that doesnt abide by the TPV. They lost their right to tell us
what we are allowed to do with the code when they used GPL.