[opensource-dev] Remote convex decomposition?

Dale Mahalko dmahalko at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 15:15:16 PDT 2010

Regarding this chunk of Havok software that LL cannot release in the
open-source viewer... just an idea...

Is it really necessary for this to be a part of the client? Since the
process is only done when uploading a mesh, and so would be done
infrequently, it appears that this could be handled server-side by LL.

Send the raw mesh to the sim (or to a dedicated Havok decomposition
server), adjust the detail sliders for the process in the client, send
those parameters to the decomposition server, and then it sends back
the Havok-decomposed results to the client for the user to review,
before the user does the final commit of the object to the grid.

This would result in no need to be concerned about exposing the
commercial Havok code, and no need to replace it with something else,
on the open source side.

 ,

Though, I am unfamiliar with the technicalities of this decomposition
process. I do not know how big the source meshes can be or how much of
a bandwidth or CPU load it would be to centralize the process on
Linden servers.

 - Dale Mahalko / Scalar Tardis