[opensource-dev] Request for feedback - Preferences Cleanup

Oz Linden (Scott Lawrence) oz at lindenlab.com
Mon Nov 8 08:45:10 PST 2010

On 2010-11-08 11:10, Sarah (Esbee) Kuehnle wrote:
> Thanks again for all your feedback. I've made some updates to the
> design deck (see attached).
>
> I'm going to create subtasks underneath STORM-31
> <https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/STORM-31> for the new preferences
> and get these updates rolling with the team! :)
>
> Cheers,
> Esbee
>
> PS - Please feel free to keep feedback coming

On the Privacy tab, you ask "Is this a timestamp in the log or in the
filename?"... I think that once we've integrated STORM-102 (a final test
build for that is running now), we'll actually have two checkboxes
there.  A new test build for that is available now (fresh off the
server) at [1].

    * Add timestamp

    * Add datestamp to log file name

The first one controls whether or not lines in the log file have
timestamps on them, and the second appends a datestamp:

    For person-to-person chat, the datestamp is YYYY-MM (year and month)
    For local chat, the datestamp is YYYY-MM-DD (year month and day)

One issue on STORM-102 that probably needs discussing... the present
person-to-person chat log file name is

    First Last[-datestamp].txt

where First and Last are the real account names.   If a person has a
Display Name set, that name is not used when constructing the file name:
instead the real first and last names for the account are used for the
log file name.  The Display name does appear (followed by the userid
"first.last" in parens) in the log text content.   This seems
potentially confusing to me, especially if the only name I ever use for
someone is the Display Name.  It seems to me that either:

   1. the Display Name should be used (if I remember talking to "Joe
      Somebody", that's the log file name I'd be most likely to look
      for), which would mean that each DN value would produce a separate
      log even if I had conversations with the same user with different
      DNs,
   2. or the userid (first.last) should always be used for the log file
      name.

[1]
http://automated-builds-secondlife-com.s3.amazonaws.com/hg/repo/oz_viewer-storm-102/rev/214097/index.html