[opensource-dev] SL Browserification

Tateru Nino tateru at taterunino.net
Thu Nov 18 09:58:47 PST 2010

Actually, (given certain basic equivalencies, which are a bit too
detailed to go into right now) you can run a decent render on ~0.25GPU
cores per CPU core assuming you're sharing the GPU core across multiple
viewer render pipelines, as opposed to heterogenous render threads. So,
for a sufficiently beefy CPU quad-core, you really only need a single
GPU to handle four or five viewers with quite good render settings.

If you do it right, that is. Of course, throw enough money at it and all
sorts of problems go away. Oh, but four clients at Skylight data-rates
will chew 1.2Mbits/sec, but you can do the same math there on the backs
of your own envelopes.

Ultimately, this isn't anything to do with the open-source viewer is it?
Or did I miss something that links the two?

On 19/11/2010 4:16 AM, Daniel wrote:
> Your assumption is where the calculation goes off.  AMD is releasing a
> "Fusion" E-350 chip which puts the
> CPU and GPU on the same chip, and which uses low power (18W), so you can
> put a bunch of them
> in a server box:
>
> http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-fusion-brazos-zacate,2786-4.html
>
> Early performance tests on games shows each chip is powerful enough to
> run an instance of SL.
> Assuming you store all the assets for a number of sims locally on the
> server, they
> should run pretty fast, without needing to fetch and decode.
>
> A room full of servers still isn't free though, and the company hosting
> this beta charges $0.02
> per user-hour.  That is a manageable cost even if fully passed on to
> residents and they use SL
> a lot.  10 hours a day would come to $6 a month.

Tateru Nino
http://dwellonit.taterunino.net/