[opensource-dev] Faster for people with crappy internet? (was Re: Overview of JPEG 2000 codec

Brian McGroarty soft at lindenlab.com
Fri Oct 1 12:22:58 PDT 2010

On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 11:41 AM, Ponzu <lee.ponzu at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 1:06 PM, Thomas Grimshaw <tom at streamsense.net>wrote:
>
>>  On 01/10/2010 18:04, Ponzu wrote:
>>
>>> Nobody has crappier internet than I (satellite).
>>>

>> Well, we're really talking about transfer caps, here, rather than
>> available bandwidth.
>>
>> Available bandwidth can be appeased by the network slider.  But transfer
>> caps are the biggest problem, and pretty much everyone in Australia is
>> affected, and a lot of people on the less decent ISP's in the UK.
>>

> and me.  17GB per 30 day period, in a sliding window.
>
> Point is still that caps will be increased as time goes on (or decreased,
> as international economic system collapses, but taht is a differnt sim).

Devs concerned about crazy-limited connections shouldn't worry about the
small changes that may someday come with a different image CODEC. They can
cut texture transfers in half -today- at the expense of texture blurriness.

A test should be straightforward, if anyone feels strongly enough to take a
whack at it. Add a "texture fidelity" slider that scales the measure the
viewer uses to decide what discard level it wants. See where you still find
it tolerable.

--
Brian McGroarty | Linden Lab
Sent from my Newton MP2100 via acoustic coupler