[opensource-dev] Faster for people with crappy internet? (was Re: Overview of JPEG 2000 codec

Glen Canaday gcanaday at gmail.com
Fri Oct 1 14:39:31 PDT 2010

On Sat, 2010-10-02 at 05:45 +1000, Tateru Nino wrote:

> On 2/10/2010 5:22 AM, Brian McGroarty wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 11:41 AM, Ponzu <lee.ponzu at gmail.com> wrote:
> >         On Fri, Oct 1, 2010 at 1:06 PM, Thomas Grimshaw
> >         <tom at streamsense.net> wrote:
> >                  On 01/10/2010 18:04, Ponzu wrote:
> >                         Nobody has crappier internet than I
> >                         (satellite).
> >

> >                 Well, we're really talking about transfer caps,
> >                 here, rather than available bandwidth.
> >
> >                 Available bandwidth can be appeased by the network
> >                 slider.  But transfer caps are the biggest problem,
> >                 and pretty much everyone in Australia is affected,
> >                 and a lot of people on the less decent ISP's in the
> >                 UK.
> >

> >         and me.  17GB per 30 day period, in a sliding window.
> >
> >         Point is still that caps will be increased as time goes on
> >         (or decreased, as international economic system collapses,
> >         but taht is a differnt sim).
> >

> > Devs concerned about crazy-limited connections shouldn't worry about
> > the small changes that may someday come with a different image
> > CODEC. They can cut texture transfers in half -today- at the expense
> > of texture blurriness.
> >

> > A test should be straightforward, if anyone feels strongly enough to
> > take a whack at it. Add a "texture fidelity" slider that scales the
> > measure the viewer uses to decide what discard level it wants. See
> > where you still find it tolerable.
> >
> I read that three times, with different reactions. After a little
> thought, though, yes. I'd _totally_ use that if it were an option.
> Right on the main UI next to a draw-distance slider.
> --
> Tateru Nino
> http://dwellonit.taterunino.net/

Totally seconded. That's very nice - it's almost like using fog to hide
a draw distance limit. As the human eye sees things blurrier as they get
further away, it seems like a healthy method of bandwidth capping to me.
That way they only fully load those textures that are in view and within
the slider's distance.

--GC