[opensource-dev] 2.0 Absolute Dealbreaker - script count feature request

Kelly Linden kelly at lindenlab.com
Mon Oct 4 13:40:14 PDT 2010

On Mon, Oct 4, 2010 at 1:05 PM, Aidan Thornton <makosoft at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 3, 2010 at 2:47 AM, Kelly Linden <kelly at lindenlab.com> wrote:
> > Unfortunately no. LSL scripts take up 16k of memory no matter how much
> they
> > actually use.
>
> Is there any technical reason why this can't be made adjustable,
> though? I know that changing the amount of script memory available for
> LSL scripts would require a recompile, since it's fixed at compilation
> time, but I suspect it could be done.

LSL is crufty and hacky. It would be a serious engineering and QA effort to
implement such a feature. The language is pretty specific and hard coded to
16k. Even if we had a patch ready it would be a lot of QA to be sure it
worked as expected. Right now if we are doing anything of this level of work
we should be working on implementing a better language and not duct taping
LSL.

 - Kelly