[opensource-dev] On Live, SL via Cloud Computing

Stickman stickman at gmail.com
Wed Oct 27 19:53:59 PDT 2010

Had a thought, figured I'd share it in case someone with authority
wanted to explore the topic.

On Live (http://www.onlive.com/) is a cloud computing gaming service.
You open up the client and their computers run the game and graphics
and stream the video to you while accepting your controls. It means
you can run games on systems that otherwise wouldn't run them.

Pros:
-Less powerful computers can run SL on high settings
-Collaboration could result in cached or close asset data for super
fast object and texture loading

Cons:
-$5/month subscription fee per user (Premium option?)
-Requires high bandwidth (3mbit) connection
-Probably consumes more bandwidth than SL itself would

The big turn off for On Live to me is a monthly fee combined with full
price video games combined with "don't pay for a year, we delete your
account including your purchase record." But those cons wouldn't apply
when dealing with Second Life through this medium.

Just throwing that out there.

Stickman