[opensource-dev] Plugins/Modular architecture

Talia Tokugawa talia.tokugawa at googlemail.com
Sat Sep 4 05:28:54 PDT 2010

Well this is taking things quite a bit further than I envisioned for this.
What Glen is suggesting here seems more like having stuff like java and
flash installed for a browser.
Where I was going with this was mainly just with the UI.

The UI system code be further cut into pieces which was where I was going
with this.
So take the LSL editor for example. I'd say that the vast majority of people
within Second Life don't ever code. So what is the point of having that in
the "basic" client? strip that out totally and then offer a plugin/extention
that would reintroduce an lsl editor to people if they so choose. You could
additionally have say the emerald lsl-editor as an additional plugin
featuring extra features (like the prebuilt extra scripts and cases).
There are so many things in the basic client that I really doubt people
actually bother to use. Windlight editors, (as I said before) a large amount
of the standard edit window, estate management tools, etc etc
This is just stripping out what we have in the current viewers. Really
getting back to basics as 2.0 "tried" to do. I think once we have a firm
foundation that is simple enough for a new user not to get scared then that
is what is going to keep user retention up. Once there is that with the
viewer and a plugin system that can cater to more experienced users the sky
really is the limit.
Plugin development is a much easier task for developers than viewer
development. Currently there is a small number of developers that work
towards new viewer. Either highly dedicated individuals (kirtsen) or groups
(emerald or imprudence). As Morgaine said viewers are "monolithic". Plugins
are so much less daunting for most developers to build.

Old style viewers had this all out in the open, which was great for power
users of Secondlife and probably the main reason behind emeralds prevalence
in the viewer market. Everything a long term user wanted was right there.
2.0 tried to keep this functionality but at the same time bury enough of the
more complicated stuff in menus so that new users were not scared, that
doesn't really solve either issue. New users as they dig further keep
finding new stuff and are probably left with a sense of "How much further do
I keep digging before I get this program?". Older users are left with the
annoyance of having to dig when they are used to everything being right
there. (I know I am)

So in this nice pluggable future, as a quick case study, lets take a look at
communications. Currently we have Local, IM and Group.

   - Emerald explored the possibility of using IRC too (personally I never
   used it). There is another plugin.
   - In the snowstorm backlog there is mention of a skype intergration
   (personally I switch to skype for long conversations as it's more reliable
   than vivox). Another plugin!
   - Moving on from there.. XMPP? (again I use gchat to talk with people
   people can't always get inworld and lets face it im>email is not exactly the
   best option).
   - How about some microblogging? twitter panel maybe?
   - And if we are really going the social route.. what about full open
   social intergration ala facebook apps? (Talia is currently dancing at so n'
   so location [slurl]... Talia is planning to goto X event [Link])

Very quickly you start getting some very nice integration with many other
services. So many plugins spring to mind when you start look at the SL
viewer as a modular system. You could have say for example "plugin bundles"
so say you could have a scripter bundle (lsl editor, script debuging tools
eg, avatar scripts from emerald, script times in estate tools etc etc).
Could have social networking bundles? say a twitter user bundle giving you a
twitter stream in your communications area, Twit this tools on events
windows, parcel details and personal profiles, maybe even snapshots to
twitpic? How about google junkies bundle.. xmpp gchat for you comms, lots of
nice "buzz this" (shudders) features dropped into the interface, "add to my
calendar" buttons for events, snapshot to picassa.

Long story short here. I don't believe it's possible to make a viewer that
covers all users. Every user has different use criteria Trying to fit every
peg into a round hole just ends up with broken pegs.