[opensource-dev] Blocking viewers.

Harold Brown labrat.hb at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 15:27:06 PDT 2010

In regards to Phoenix vs Emerald.  The ONLY things Phoenix removed
from the client that made them TPV compliant was the EMKDU.dll file
(as well as removing the ability to use the LLKDU.dll)

The gist of this seeming to be that allowing a Third Party client the
ability to use LLKDU.dll means that client is no longer TPV compliant.

Interesting enough the only valid arguement for the removal is the
fact that KDU is a closed source binary and the client is GPL.  That
arguement is, of course, only valid for viewer code earlier than
Snowstorm as the code license was changed to LGPL.

Honestly with the impending removal of Snowglobe from the Linden Lab
version control repositories, this all reeks of ways to force people
to the new Viewer 2.x interface.  One which I personally can not use
for any extended lengths of time as it just doesn't flow naturally to
me as a User Interface.