[opensource-dev] Blocking viewers.

Tano Toll tano.toll at gmail.com
Thu Sep 9 01:38:46 PDT 2010

"> The gist of this seeming to be that allowing a Third Party client the
> ability to use LLKDU.dll means that client is no longer TPV compliant."

Interestingly enough, the Emergence viewer (published just before Phoenix)
offers to install LLKDU.dll (i think it does so by downloading the official
viewer and extracting the dll file), yet, is also listed in the TPVD
: "Emergence Viewer 7 Sep 2010"

It did ask me while installing, the application directory indeed holds
llkdu.dll, the release notes actually mention it:

"Changes from version 1.5.0.0 to 1.5.0.1
Dictionaries now downloaded dynamicly again
Fixed bug in login page and in clothing protection (showing as emergence
instead of emerald)
*llkdu added to installer and now working in viewer*
User agent refined
Installer made red :D and smaller"

So, i'm at least confused about this EMKDU and LLKDU legal status, and even
more why not only EMKDU as well as LLKDU was used as argument against
Emerald, i.e. Emerald (before the blow up) was requested also not to use
LLKDU.

I quote Aradella Steadham:
"Linden Lab has made demands of the team that are impossible to meet. Among
the demands not listed publicly elsewhere was to publicly release an RC
without any ability to load the emkdu or llkdu files. This was do-able. The
final demand was to 'delete' 3 key members of our team. While making this
demand, Linden Lab was quite aware that this was effectively the guillotine
to the project."

Last not least, i think LL has acted pretty reasonable, identified the 3
brats in the Emerald team succesfully, also was very rapid in accepting BOTH
Phoenix and Emergence in the TPVD. So rumours about 'viewer 2 only' and
'linden banning emerald because it is too succesful' seem to be plain wrong
in my view.

regards, and sorry for bothering with offtopic issues,

TT