[opensource-dev] Compiler optimizations on Viewer and LLKDU

Sheet Spotter sheet.spotter at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 18:49:15 PDT 2010

1. Are there any plans to enable higher levels of compiler optimizations for
the viewer?

For example, Streaming SIMD Extensions (SSE, SSE2, and SSE3) are not
enabled.  SSE was introduced in Pentium III processors in 1999. SSE was
first added to AMD processors in the Athlon XP and Duron, both in 2001. The
minimum requirements for the viewer are stated as: "800 MHz Pentium III or
Athlon, or better".

            http://secondlife.com/support/system-requirements/

2. Also, would the LLKDU library benefit from higher levels of compiler
optimizations?

Anyone can compile the viewer with higher levels of optimization using the
publicly available source code. However, the source code for the LLKDU
library is not publicly available. Only LL could compile LLKDU with higher
levels of optimization.

3. Would LL consider providing a compiled version of the LLKDU library with
higher levels of optimization?

Taking advantage of higher levels of compiler optimization may improve the
experience for people running low to mid range equipment. My interest is in
improving the experience for residents using lower grade equipment, not in
eliminating those residents. I regularly run the viewer on an older model
Pentium 4.

Sheet Spotter