[opensource-dev] J2C fast decoder

leliel leliel.mirihi at gmail.com
Sun Sep 12 23:04:42 PDT 2010

On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 10:40 PM, Tateru Nino <tateru at taterunino.net> wrote:
> If we're using HTTP textures, is there actually any need for the JPEG 2000
> format?

There is the 500TB asset server full of jpeg2k images. Switching to a
new format would be a massive undertaking.

> Would it be a huge problem, for example, to transfer HTTP textures as TGA or
> PNG and use one of the rather well-optimized decoder libraries for those
> instead?

TGA is uncompressed so it won't work. PNG could work, but its
compression ratio and file overhead isn't that much better than
jpeg2k. So the gains would only be in decode time, which is the
biggest cpu drain in the viewer so it may be worth it.