[opensource-dev] J2C fast decoder

Dahlia Trimble dahliatrimble at gmail.com
Sun Sep 12 23:38:53 PDT 2010

Jpeg 2000 discard levels are also used for reducing the resolution of
textures for distant objects which reduces data download requirements. Few
other formats offer comparable compression ratios with the quality that Jpeg
2000 offers. HTTP transfer doesn't magically make data traverse the network
faster; much of the reduced download time is due to offloading the sim from
the task of sending textures as they can come from another server process
(or even another physical server).