[opensource-dev] J2C fast decoder

Argent Stonecutter secret.argent at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 05:14:40 PDT 2010

On 2010-09-13, at 00:40, Tateru Nino wrote:
> If we're using HTTP textures, is there actually any need for the JPEG 2000 format? Since the transfer time of individual textures is vastly reduced (from the first byte to the last byte) the intermediate quality levels supported by jpg2k would seem to be redundant.

I'm on a 256k DSL. I have HTTP textures enabled. I still see many intermediate texture levels.

Also, for large textures, switching to PNG would likely increase the size of the transfer, which is not good.

On the other hand, since both "old" JPG and PNG support progressive decoding, why not use PNG for lossless textures and JPG for lossy ones? Then you don't lose anything.