[opensource-dev] J2C fast decoder

Ambrosia chaosstar at gmail.com
Mon Sep 13 05:51:23 PDT 2010

It goes even further. JPEG2k is superior in compression ratio compared
to quality to both, JPEG and PNG when it comes to lossy and lossless.
it is actually a quite awesome image format through and through.

The only real problem with JPEG2k are software patents. It's the
reason why free decoders like OpenJPEG and JasPer are so much slower
compared to KDU. KDU is developed by one of the people sitting in the
JPEG2K consortium, and is stuffed with proprietary algorithms.