[opensource-dev] where is the source

Joshua Bell josh at lindenlab.com
Mon Sep 13 16:48:38 PDT 2010

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 4:32 PM, Kelly Linden <kelly at lindenlab.com> wrote:

> I'd love to see that syntax highlighting and hover tip code replaced, we
> really shouldn't need anything in lscript in the viewer. If the syntax
> highlighting / hover tips could be read from an LLSD we could provide a
> capability 'lsl-syntax' which could be queried for a version or the whole
> map. Then you could get accurate syntax highlighting for the sim you are on
> independent of the viewer.

At the risk of designing this via email... oh, what the heck.

User story: "As a developer of LSL scripts, I want LSL the syntax
highlighting dictionary to be updated automagically so I don't have to
upgrade my viewer whenever new LSL functions or keywords are added."

Per-sim versioning is a nice-to-have but we could probably start simpler and
have a per-grid resource. During login, the viewer can be given the URL to
an LLSD resource it can *lazily* request. (We do this for other grid-wide
services.)

We could later choose to extend this to be a capability granted by the
simulator, which the viewer could query on each region change (when it gets
a new seed cap) to give the granularity Kelly describes above.

The server side changes to deliver a static URL to an LLSD resource from
login are minimal; if someone wants to take a stab at the client side
changes and defining a forward-looking LLSD format, I'm sure you'll find a
server-side champion.