[opensource-dev] User Story: Improved Cache

Kelly Linden kelly at lindenlab.com
Thu Sep 16 09:58:13 PDT 2010

Strictly speaking I think you have the stories and tasks reversed here.

As a user I'd like to be able to use a greater portion of my available disk
to improve the SL experience.
* Task: Improve the cache system to allow larger caches

As a user I'd like the places I visit most often, like my 'home' and
favorites, to load more quickly
* Task: Improve the cache system to not discard data for my home (at least
not for a while)
* Task: Improve the cache system to not discard data for my 'favorites'
places (at least not for a while)

As a user I'd like to never have to clear the cache to fix a bug
* Task: Implement a quick and efficient inventory verification to find
inventory cache discrepancies.
* Task: (Are there other common bugs that require a cache clear to fix?)

Improving the cache system is a task (actually multiple tasks) used to
accomplish the three experience stories you have. Stories should generally
be about the end experience, not the underlying system or how the
experiences will be fixed. Yes, that is a rough guide, especially for many
stories where the actor is 'a developer', but it helps still. :)

That said these are great ideas, and should definitely be on a backlog
somewhere if they aren't. I know we have discussed all of them at one point
or another.

 - Kelly