[opensource-dev] Question about the Too Many Open Files problem

Ponzu lee.ponzu at gmail.com
Sun Sep 19 07:39:11 PDT 2010

I have been pursuing this for awhile.  I am wondering if I am the only one
experiencing it? Could others with the same problem let me know so that I
don't feel so lonely 8-)

Problem:

   - On Mac, open Console and then open the system.log.
   - Open Viewer2 Dev (any version since Beta).  Viewer2 Release does not
   show this problem for me.
   - Go to some area where there are a lot of textures (e.g. not a barren
   wasteland like Brilliant).  After a few minutes, the viewer freezes (the
   mouse pointer becomes the spinner) and errors start appearing in syslog.log
   about Too Many Files.

You can also open a Terminal window and use lsof to see the open files.

$ lsof -c Second

or you can count them with

$ lsof -c Second | wc -l

Whenever I get to 235 UDP and TCP connections, I freeze.