[opensource-dev] Openjpeg/KDU the cold hard metrics

Sheet Spotter sheet.spotter at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 19:40:00 PDT 2010

There may be another option for obtaining a common set of J2C files for
comparison.

Viewer 2 installs 784 JPEG-2000 files (*.j2c) in the "local_assets" folder
under the main install folder (e.g., "C:\Program Files\SecondLifeViewer2").

The "j2k_metric" test harness decoded all 784 files from the "local_assets"
folder without errors. The OpenJPEG 1.3.0 library was 3.7 times slower than
the KDU library that comes with Viewer 2.1.1.208043 (the current release
version).

I have been unsuccessful at implementing the additional functions to make
the OpenJPEG v2 interface compatible with the earlier v1.3.0 interface. The
test application aborted with buffer overrun errors. Oopsie!

The tests were run under Windoze 7 on a Pentium i7-950 (3 GHz Hyperthreaded)
using a RelWithDebInfo build run from the command line. (Running the same
build from within VisualStudio 2005 was noticeably slower.

There was one small surprise. Only two threads were in use for both the
OpenJPEG v1.3.0 and KDU tests. I expected KDU to use all eight available
threads.

Sheet Spotter