[opensource-dev] User Story: Inventory Sorting

Argent Stonecutter secret.argent at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 05:13:32 PDT 2010

On 2010-09-21, at 10:48, Zha Ewry wrote:
> As a user I want to be able to sort my inventory with tools which embody familiar metaphors from Windows,  Mac and Linux file browsers.  I expect a folder system which exposes attributes in a familiar fashion and permits sorting of those attributes in a consistent fashion. I expect folders to be sorted by date as well as their contents. I expect to be able to leverage my experience as a computer user and find common metaphors such as  sorting columns  implemented in the inventory sorter. I expect to be able to create deeply nested folder structures and easily find things based on most recently added, most recently modified, I expect a consistent approach to displaying nested material throughout the viewer. I expect to be able to select which details are exposed in an inventory view, and I expect column sorting implemented in a familiar fashion.

I would be satisfied with a consistent presentation of the folder system. I ran into the "wearing two outfits" problem recently, when trying out a V2-based TPV, and so I switched to "Worn" in the honest belief that I would be able to "un-wear" one outfit... only to find that the "worn" tab is completely flattened. Why would that ever be a good idea? When wearing objects that are in multiple pieces (for example, a pair of jeans with prim cuffs) being able to go to the worn tab and remove that *folder* is pretty much essential.