[opensource-dev] RLV or ACSE (Was Re: Mesh?)

Marine Kelley marinekelley at gmail.com
Sat Sep 25 16:19:59 PDT 2010

On 25 September 2010 19:59, Robert "Exile In Paradise" Murphey <
exile at weylan-yutani.com> wrote:

> Sum up: RLV makes LL-viewer-compatible virtual worlds much, much
> more usable for community game development by giving the region
> owners control over default viewer features that hurt many parts of
> intended roleplay or combat.

I couldn't agree with you more there. It is really nothing more than an
interface to allow scripts to act on the viewer in many different ways, and
none of them has to be kinky. The stargates are a good example of it, and
they have been around for a while. And as you pointed out, combat sims would
really benefit from the added realism that the RLV restrictions bring, too.
There are viewers here that integrate the RLV to actually provide more
accessibility to SL to disabled people !

The protocol is simple enough and if the Lindens are interested in
integrating it (or a part of it) into the standard viewer I would be more
than happy to explain how it works. As long as the RLV stays incapable of
doing things that scripts can do (otherwise this platform would compete
against the very scripts it is supposed to serve), it would be a nice
addition to the viewer.