[opensource-dev] RLV or ACSE (Was Re: Mesh?)

Robert "Exile In Paradise" Murphey exile at weylan-yutani.com
Sat Sep 25 10:59:30 PDT 2010

On Sat, 2010-09-25 at 19:27 +-0200, Lance Corrimal wrote:
+AD4 hmmm what if it was named Advanced Client Scriptabilty Extension
+AD4 (ACSE)?
+AD4
+AD4 because that's basically what it is, an extension that allows inworld
+AD4 scripts to control some functions of the users client.
+AD4
+AD4 I could think of any number of uses for that stuff that would lead to
+AD4 deeper immersion and better roleplay without having any connection to
+AD4 BDSM at all.

First, since Windlight was never finished, I wrote myself a small
script called RestrainedLight that uses the RLV sky controls to
setup custom skies for various regions I visit.
A Dune-inspired region gets a harsh white-hot sun.
My home region gets a nice sunset on the water and so on.

As a region developer and estate manager, I'd LOVE to have the
scriptable controls present in RLV added to the mainline viewer
or region/game +ACo-design+ACo

Some RLV features already usable for games include:
- Disable minimap and Map tool unless sensor devices are used
This removes everyone's +ACI-deity's eye view+ACI from combat.
- Disable teleports (except in foyer-style areas)
To keep sorry players from just teleporting out.
- Disable fly without flying device
This time for real, rather than just turning off the button and
everyone using admin view to get it back.
- Attachment controls
To keep people from adding 20 attached +ACI-weapons+ACI and shields
- Better death
blindfold user, turn off chat, nail them in place on the ground, etc.
- Turn off IMs and group chat
Force people to +ACo-speak+ACo or use radio devices, and yes I know people
can skype or IM to get around it - but most will be more reluctant
since that exposes their RL identity which may be cause for pause.
- Limit +ACI-unlimited+ACI mouseclick range
Remove everyone's miles-long reach and force them to actually be
NEXT to things to operate them, like doors.
- Force to Mouselook
Some combat regions could benefit from locking people into Mouselook
while in the actual combat areas of the region.

And that's just the from-memory list of things I wished for while
designing parts of Splintered Rock and Al Raqis. I could probably
come up with MANY MANY more if I actually looked over the API again.

However, since those sorts of scripted controls aren't in the mainline
viewer - region owners are reluctant to allow region builders and
scripter to +ACI-bake+ACI those features in. The requirement to go to a TPV
to utilize those features makes all region owners shy away from the
increased requirements just to be in the region.

+AD4 Just imagine, for the combat roleplayer, a halo-style body armor that
+AD4 you can't take off on your own, you have to go see the technician.
+AD4 (technician has to RLV-unlock the thing).

Nice suggestion there.
I could mod my armor for that one pretty quick - but most players
wouldn't generally buy use items like that until the features appear
in the mainline viewer. Pity.

Sum up: RLV makes LL-viewer-compatible virtual worlds much, much
more usable for community game development by giving the region
owners control over default viewer features that hurt many parts of
intended roleplay or combat.

--
Robert +ACI-Exile In Paradise+ACI Murphey
HELLO KITTY gang terrorizes town, family STICKERED to death+ACE