[opensource-dev] User Story: Simple Mesh Edit in Viewer

Daniel danielravennest at gmail.com
Mon Sep 27 09:17:16 PDT 2010

  User Story:

As a user, I would like to be able to make simple edits to the shape of
an imported mesh for such purposes as making a clothing item fit better,
a large mesh object fit within my land parcel, or fit the other objects
in a linkset.  As someone learning to build it would also be more fun
and interesting to edit shapes than merely using items other people have
created.

JIRA Issue: https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-23202

Please see the JIRA issue for a discussion, but for viewer development,
I proposed the simplest possible editing function I could think of, that
of moving vertexes but making no other changes to a mesh like UV
mapping.  That minimizes the code and UI changes.  As someone who makes
3D models using 3ds Max, being able to mod a shape after import would be
highly useful even for me.  Even though I can have all the mesh
components loaded in Max and get them to fit each other in a complex
item, I cannot load random avatar or terrain shapes, or see how an item
will look once placed in the surrounding environment.