[opensource-dev] 2.0 Absolute Dealbreaker - script count feature request

Ambrosia chaosstar at gmail.com
Wed Sep 29 23:03:14 PDT 2010

On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 01:06, Kelly Linden <kelly at lindenlab.com> wrote:
> * In the end the number of scripts shouldn't be important

It is currently important hover, because due to a lack of script
memory limits per avatar/parcel, you can see lots of people wearing an
excess of over 200 scripts per avatar. Easily. All it takes is a badly
written hud, old resizer clothes, etc. I don't seldomly see people
entering/leaving a sim with 400+ scripts.

Now, each script takes around 0.0015 - 0.002 ms when idle. With 60
scripts you already get an overhead of 0.1 ms of script time on the
sim. Take 5 avatars with a total of ~1k scripts and you get around
15ms of overhead. Plus -at least- 16mb of memory used if all those
scripts are mono, which is unlikely.

And as I said, that amount of scripts in a sim due to avatars happens,
and it doesn't happen in rare cases.

Bryon Ruxton:

>As long as it doesn't return the true memory usage, people will start banning
>mono scripted objects, because they don't know better and won't listen to
>explanations.

The issue is that Mono scripts currently reserve 64kb to themselves,
even if they use less. the 64kb of memory, of resources are lost. So
that display isn't too inaccurate, until we can actually define how
much memory a script should reserve. One of the main sim performance
killers is when a sim runs out of script memory and starts swapping to
disk.

TL;DR: We need the Script Limits, Small Scripts and Big Scripts
projects out of the mothball.

--Chalice Yao