[opensource-dev] [JIRA] Proposal - Default Search settings on jira.secondlife.com

Dave Booth dave at meadowlakearts.com
Fri Aug 26 15:39:33 PDT 2011

Opinions inline...

On 8/26/2011 12:34 PM, opensourceobscure wrote:

> PROPOSAL:
>
> 1) exclude "Comments" from fields where keywords are searched for

Agree

> 2) exclude "Description" too (this may be excessive but usually works for me)

Disagree on the grounds that excluding this one would negatively impact
one category of benefits you hope to achieve, namely the reduction of
duplicate issues. Users tend to express the same issue in different
words when dealing with two similar fields on the same form. Searching
both makes the target of the search "wider" in that the original
reporter has expressed it two ways and the search (reflecting the way
the SEARCHER thinks of the issue) is more likely to hit one.

> 3) replace the "OR" logic operator (which is implicit in searches)
> with the "AND" logic operator

Oh heck, YES. Include the "quoted multiword string as single search
token" functionality too.