[opensource-dev] [JIRA] Proposal - Default Search settings on jira.secondlife.com

Yoz Grahame yoz at lindenlab.com
Sun Aug 28 23:05:18 PDT 2011

While I like most of the ideas presented here, this is unlikely to happen in the near future as JIRA Quick Search just plain isn't configurable. We'd have to augment or replace it somehow, which would require development work, so any requests to that effect are highly unlikely to make it anywhere visible on our priority list.

That said, I personally (please note the stress there) don't have much of a problem with the current Quick Search defaults; yes, they do return tons of false positives, but this tends not to matter as much because they're usually well ranked. If I'm looking through the results in relevance order then it's usually pretty obvious whether what I'm looking for is in there or not. As such, I find the "be inclusive, then rank" (i.e. OR with wider fields) approach better than "be exclusive and limited" (i.e. AND) when checking whether a given issue has been reported. In other words, I'm agreeing with Dave Booth's point 2, but saying that this rationale applies to the other two points as well. From what I've seen, JIRA's default search ranking algorithm takes it all into account. My recommendation is to search and use results with that in mind.

-- Yoz