[opensource-dev] "Nearby" people tab

Boroondas Gupte sllists at boroon.dasgupta.ch
Tue Feb 1 03:41:09 PST 2011

Hi Dave

On 02/01/2011 01:57 AM, Dave Booth wrote:
> On 1/31/2011 07:52, Oz Linden (Scott Lawrence) wrote:
>> It would be interesting to see what was in the log file for the period
>> of time that the window was not properly filled in.
> I intend to capture some more specific data in the next few days - will
> involve laying out precisely positioned prims in 3 dimensions for an av
> to sit on and probing what "NearMeRange" distances they appear and
> disappear from the nearby tab to an alt sat on the zero-ref prim. If
> properly designed, that study will establish any issues with height AGL,
> "flat" (2d) vector magnitude and "true" (3d) vector magnitude. Will
> include logfile capture and will advise.
While broad testing is a very good idea, also to find yet unknown bugs,
you might want to test the "interesting" values for this specific issue
(and related ones) first, which are heights around 4 * (2^8 - 1) m ==
1020 m, if the underlying cause of VWR-9326
<https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-9326> and VWR-17050
<https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-17050> are the same. Aimee and
Henry provide some technical explanation of that value in comments on
VWR-6484
<https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-6484?focusedCommentId=95433&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-95433>.

Note that a fix for VWR-17050 is being reviewed at
https://codereview.secondlife.com/r/132/. If you document your test
well, it could probably also be used to QA that fix.

Cheers,
Boroondas