[opensource-dev] XMPP group chat questions
latifer at streamgrid.net
Tue Feb 1 06:42:46 PST 2011
Since I plan to implement the new XMPP chat available for the clients
that are not based on the official viewer, I could use some
documentation about the way the new group chat system. Perhaps the
best way to start would be with a few questions. Some of these have
already been answered by Gez during Oz'es OH, but perhaps it would be
beneficial to have them in one place.
1) To which xmpp server should we connect. I'm assuming there will be
a new field in the xmlrpc login response specifying it?
2) Apart from the login reponse to find out to which xmpp server to
connect to, would there be any other dependency on sims, like getting
a CAP to give you authenticated username? (Similar CAP is used to
obtain Vivox voice server credentials).
3) Assuming there are no additional dependencies on sims, will the
same credentials (username/password) be used to authenticate to xmpp
server as those to login to SL?
4) Is group chat implemented based on standard MUC (multi user chat)
5) Assuming MUC is used, how is the client supposed to construct
addresses of the conferees it's supposed to join.
(conference_name at some.xmpps.host.com)
6) Will XMPP server be sending participant list that can be used in SL
clients? We would need to know UUID of the participant in order to
provide the functionality in the viewer, such us opening profiles,
etc. (are we glad we have display names yet? :)
7) Is one of the design goals to allow pure xmpp clients to connect
and participate in the group chat?
8) Proposed bridge between two group chat system for the transitional
period, will it be sim <-> xmpp server or xmp server <-> legacy group
More information about the opensource-dev