[opensource-dev] Is 'STANDALONE' confusing?

Boroondas Gupte sllists at boroon.dasgupta.ch
Mon Feb 21 06:38:01 PST 2011

On 02/21/2011 03:28 PM, Oz Linden (Scott Lawrence) wrote:
> If we are going to change it, the replacement term should, in addition
> to being more accurately descriptive of what it does, be an affirmative
> term - don't suggest any 'NO_*" replacements.

Would it be acceptable to invert the setting's semantic in order to
avoid a negation? I.e., STANDALONE=OFF would become NEW_SETTING=ON and
vice versa. That'd allow for easy-to-understand names like
USE_PREBUILD_LIBS or DOWNLOAD_NEEDED_DEPENDENCIES.

Off course, the default value should be inverted together with the
setting's semantic, such that the default behavior does not change.

Cheers,
Boroondas