[opensource-dev] Pre-processing chat input (was Re: Review Request: STORM-829 Viewer 2 does not parse /me in object Instant Messages

Jonathan Welch jhwelch at gmail.com
Sat Jan 8 11:16:29 PST 2011

Yesterday it was suggested to substitute /me at some early point.

In this particular case it would not work for two reasons:

1) "/me" has to pass through the communications system so when it
arrives at the viewer from the server the various components that
display the line can see it is a "/me" line and insert the name in
italics or otherwise "do the right thing".  You have local chat
toasts, chat history, the IM window, etc.

2) There are 3 ways messages can arrive from objects (llSay,
llOwnerSay, and llInstantMessage) so there is no way they can be
processed until the arrive at your viewer for display.

-Jonathan