[opensource-dev] Review Request: STORM-2 As a User, I want to set my own default views with specific UI layout so I can tailor my Viewer experience to the activities I'm most interested in.

Opensource Obscure opensourceobscure at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 07:28:47 PST 2011

Just to say this new feature looks very promising!

A question. The 3rd note says
"the files associated with saved layouts will be LLSD text files, so you can
email or paste layouts into a notecard to share with other users".
(the note also explains why this is not the ideal behaviour ever,
and also why we have to deal with it for now)

This sounds even cooler! ...but - how would that process of
sharing LLSD files exactly work?
I mean, where will users have to put those LLSD files?

here is the scenario I'm thinking about:

- a "teacher" (or mentor, friend, etc) is explaining to a new user
how to build in SL
- the teacher shares with the new user an LLSD file that contains
an ideal layout for building, and says "put this in your SL folder"
- the new user is now confused: many newbies don't know
the difference between the software folder and the settings folder,
and they don't know where those are;
this gets even worst to solve for people trying to help them,
because pathnames are different across different operating systems,
across different releases of the same o.s. - or because of localization.

possible solutions:
- add another option in Preferences to choose the folder where we keep layouts
- add a menu command to choose a specific layout file  - then the viewer
would copy that file into the actual settings folder.

Opensource Obscure