[opensource-dev] About KDU perf

Philippe (Merov) Bossut merov at lindenlab.com
Thu Jan 27 11:02:40 PST 2011

Hi,

Picking up this from a different thread:
> On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 12:49 PM, Twisted Laws <twisted_laws at hotmail.com>wrote:
> Dang its nice to run a viewer with kdu instead of openjpeg....  Made me go
ride the train thru 20 or so regions!

No sure folks noticed but I completed a perf test runs on all platforms
comparing KDU v4.2.1, v6.4.1 and openjpeg v1.3.0. It's all there:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Performance_Testers#ImageCompressionTester

If you're running Linux (as I assume Twisted does), the new KDU is flat out
4 times faster than openjpeg (at least, the one we ship with the viewer).
The perf difference for Mac is 4.5 fold and 4.75 on Windows. You can really
feel that difference moving around for sure.

The Windows improvement moving from 4.2.1 to 6.4.1 was not as spectacular
than the one on Mac and Linux (only 12% better for Windows vs 30% for Mac
and Linux) but that's due to the fact the Windows implementation of KDU was
already pretty good. As a matter of fact, on the same hardware, the new
v6.4.1 Linux version is still slower than the old v4.2.1 Windows version.

Keep in mind though that those metrics are only for *texture decompression*,
not the viewer as a whole. It's only one aspect of the overall perf.

All in all though, the new Snowstorm 2.5 (with KDU 6.4.1) should feel a tad
faster for everyone.

Cheers,
- Merov