[opensource-dev] Is it just me? Avatar textures downloading last.

Thickbrick Sleaford thickbrick.sleaford at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 17:03:57 PDT 2011

On Saturday 18 June 2011 20:00:04 Lee ponzu wrote:
> However, and unrelated to shadows, I began to notice last night that while
> my scenes had all downloaded, the avatars around me were still all gray.
>  Their objects were OK, it was just their skin and cloth final bake that is
> missing.  They do show up after several minutes, but long after everything
> else.

I've noticed avatar bakes taking very long to un-gray too, when trying the SL
v2 viewer recently after not using it for a long-ish while. This is especially
noticeable in crowded areas.

Looking at the texture console, it looks like any fetch that is using udp
(i.e. bakes, since they can not be fetched via http) is always at the bottom
of the list, and usually gets bumped out quickly. I haven't tested this, but I
get the feeling that the udp fetches are starved out of processing by the
regular http fetches. If I stay a while in a gray people gathering, and then
relog, the once-gray people have at least one discard level of their bakes
quickly decoded, probably from cache. This makes me think that this is a
prioritization issue, possibly caused by the quick turn-around of http
textures.

--
Thickbrick