[opensource-dev] Is 'STANDALONE' confusing?

Ima Mechanique ima.mechanique at blueyonder.co.uk
Tue Mar 8 13:19:25 PST 2011

> > On 2011-03-03 1:45, Philippe (Merov) Bossut wrote:
> > >
> > > Dropping privately built 3rd party libs though was always a bit of a
> > > black art. Now that most 3rd party libs have a public repo available
> > > at lindenlab/3p-<package> though, you have another possibility which
> > > is to build the package yourself and point autobuild.xml to it using a
> > > "file:///<path>" url (don't forget to also change the md5 hash...).
> > > That will extract libs and includes and drop them in
> > > build-<plat>/packages. I experimented with that in OPEN-6 and it works
> > > fine.
> >
> > I'd really like to some experiences from open devs trying to use this
> > method.  Essentially, it means maintaining your own version of the
> > autobuild configuration file (either in autobuild.xml, being careful not
> > to include those changes in any changeset meant to be merged to
> > viewer-development, or by using a copy and pointing to the copy either
> > with a --config-file option to autobuild or with the
> > AUTOBUILD_CONFIG_FILE environment variable).
> >
> > Even if you build your own prebuilds, you probably won't need to do it
> > very often - check them all out once, build each one, construct the
> > packages portion of the autobuild.xml file and then copy it into any
> > working copy you've got for doing viewer work.  The only time you should
> > need to rebuild any of them is when a package is modified either by you
> > or from upstream.
>
> I spent 3-4 hours playing with this today. I started by updating local
> copies of the 3p repoes,and was encouraged to see several commits for
> VS2010 compatibility. That didn't last long though, as when I checked
> the autobuild.xml files there was nothing in them for Windows users :-(
> There are entries under platform claiming to be windows, but in reality
> all but one appear to be for cygwin only, and I'm not sure about the
> last. Cygwin really needs to be treated as a platform in its own right
> here. Otherwise when the OS community creates *real* windows
> configurations you will not be able to accept them because of a naming
> conflict.
> Not to mention it annoys Windows users to see a window entry and it
> doesn't work. ;-)
>
> I tried using the cygwin configs, but was unable to get any of them
> working because of errors calling python scripts. Pretty sure the path
> isn't being translated back into MSDOS style. I tried the note on the
> https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Autobuild page, installing the module
> and including the Script directory in path, but that didn't work either.

The note on https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Autobuild about installing
autobuild in cygwin led to a total misunderstanding on my part. After
someone pointed out to me that using cygwin directly was a no-go, I
tried again with this yesterday. This time using a command prompt
(Windows SDK 7.1, currently the latest version).

Things went somewhat better. Several of the build-cmd.sh script had a
"pass: unknown command" error, the "pass" command being at the end of
the script. Those scripts that didn't have this problem couldn't perform
a build as they use "devenv" to start building, which is not available
on VCExpress. I was able to open some of the solutions in the IDE, which
complained that parts were corrupt.  However, despite the corruption I
was able to build a few libs from within the IDE.

I intend to continue some more with this to see if I can get it working
better.