[opensource-dev] Is 'STANDALONE' confusing?

Ima Mechanique ima.mechanique at blueyonder.co.uk
Sun Mar 6 21:59:05 PST 2011

> On 2011-03-03 1:45, Philippe (Merov) Bossut wrote:
> >
> > Dropping privately built 3rd party libs though was always a bit of a
> > black art. Now that most 3rd party libs have a public repo available
> > at lindenlab/3p-<package> though, you have another possibility which
> > is to build the package yourself and point autobuild.xml to it using a
> > "file:///<path>" url (don't forget to also change the md5 hash...).
> > That will extract libs and includes and drop them in
> > build-<plat>/packages. I experimented with that in OPEN-6 and it works
> > fine.
>
> I'd really like to some experiences from open devs trying to use this
> method.  Essentially, it means maintaining your own version of the
> autobuild configuration file (either in autobuild.xml, being careful not
> to include those changes in any changeset meant to be merged to
> viewer-development, or by using a copy and pointing to the copy either
> with a --config-file option to autobuild or with the
> AUTOBUILD_CONFIG_FILE environment variable).
>
> Even if you build your own prebuilds, you probably won't need to do it
> very often - check them all out once, build each one, construct the
> packages portion of the autobuild.xml file and then copy it into any
> working copy you've got for doing viewer work.  The only time you should
> need to rebuild any of them is when a package is modified either by you
> or from upstream.

I spent 3-4 hours playing with this today. I started by updating local
copies of the 3p repoes,and was encouraged to see several commits for
VS2010 compatibility. That didn't last long though, as when I checked
the autobuild.xml files there was nothing in them for Windows users :-(
There are entries under platform claiming to be windows, but in reality
all but one appear to be for cygwin only, and I'm not sure about the
last. Cygwin really needs to be treated as a platform in its own right
here. Otherwise when the OS community creates *real* windows
configurations you will not be able to accept them because of a naming
conflict.
Not to mention it annoys Windows users to see a window entry and it
doesn't work. ;-)

I tried using the cygwin configs, but was unable to get any of them
working because of errors calling python scripts. Pretty sure the path
isn't being translated back into MSDOS style. I tried the note on the
https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Autobuild page, installing the module
and including the Script directory in path, but that didn't work either.

--
Ima Mechanique
ima.mechanique(at)blueyonder.co.uk