[opensource-dev] STORM-1090 : font size regression

Philippe (Merov) Bossut merov at lindenlab.com
Mon Mar 21 23:17:55 PDT 2011

Hi,

We identified that moving from freetype 2.3.9 to 2.4.4 in
viewer-autobuild2010 produces smaller text (roughly 10% smaller).

Looking into this this afternoon, I was able to narrow it down to
LLFontFreetype::addGlyphFromFont(): tracing the glypth width and height in
LLFontFreetype::addGlyphFromFont(), one can see that 2.4 sizes are almost
always 1 pixel smaller in height and sometimes width than the same glyph
renderer with 2.3. 1 pixel on a 10 pixel high bitmap explains why moving the
UI sixe rendering to 1.1 in preferences sort of compensate the problem.

The underlying issue as to where this rendering difference comes from is
unclear. Searching the freetype release notes since 2.3.9 doesn't point to
anything particularly relevant to this. Diffing freetype.h and ftimage.h is
not bringing any useful information either, or at least, I haven't found
any.

If someone has any light to shed on this freetype issue, it would be very
much appreciated.

For the moment, the plan of record is to downgrade freetype to 2.3.9 though,
clearly, this is not the best solution.

Cheers,

- Merov