[opensource-dev] [JIRA] Projects and Components, my.secondlife.com

Boroondas Gupte sllists at boroon.dasgupta.ch
Sat Mar 26 08:15:06 PDT 2011

On 03/26/2011 03:28 PM, Opensource Obscure wrote:
> Many issues about Profiles, Picks, Privacy Notes and related
> features are currently filed in JIRA under the VWR Project.
> This prevents them to add "my.secondlife.com" as Component;
> the whole situation seems a bit confused to me.
If such issues apply to viewer versions that have web profiles, they
should be filed under WEB, not VWR, I think, unless they are caused by
functionality that has remained client-side. It's unclear though what
the right project is when the issue's cause lies in how the web content
and the viewer interact, or has both client- and server-side causes or
if the user just cannot tell where the problem is located.

> Should something be done about this?
> Should those issues be moved to WEB?
Yes and yes.

>  to SOCIAL?
SOCIAL is not a "Public Portal" project (see the list of projects
<https://jira.secondlife.com/secure/BrowseProjects.jspa#all>), so I
guess issues should only be moved there when the team behind the SOCIAL
project picks them up (or if another LL team decides to assign the issue
to them, if they are allowed to do so).

> if moved, would be Watchers "migrated" or not?
Watchers and voters will be preserved. So will comments, attachments,
environment etc.

Everything that is project-specific (e.g. components) will not be
preserved, even if both the source and destination project feature e.g.
components of the same name. The mover might be prompted to set some of
these freshly as part of the moving. (I think for components, that's the
case.)

> I tried to use the "Clone" JIRA feature but apparently it doesn't help,
> as I couldn't file the new issue under a different Project.
Cloning wouldn't be a good idea anyway, as it'd lead to duplicate issues
and would not take watches, voters and comments with it. (I'm not sure
about attachments.) Cloning mainly means that the description,
environment and summary are copied over.

> Meta issue https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/WEB-3535
> currently seems to be the best umbrella for issues related
> to the new Web Profiles & my.secondlife.com.
>
> I'm particularly concerned by the current lack of functionality
> https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-24557
> https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/WEB-3511
> https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-25283
> and by disappearing profiles
> https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/WEB-3750
I believe I have the ability to move to WEB. Should I move any of the above?

More generally, it seems that the jira permission system, while probably
necessary to avoid honest mistakes by inexperienced users, vandalism and
edit wars, often is a major obstacle to do useful work, sometimes even
to Lindens. I think a first step in alleviating that would be to bring
some more transparency into it:

   1. Allow everyone to see what groups exist on jira.
   2. Allow everyone, whether member of a group or not, see what
      permissions each group comes with on what projects.
   3. Document for each group what conditions group members must meet
      and how to apply for membership (if applicable. Obviously, if a
      group has the condition "You have to be a Linden.", no application
      option for non-Lindens is necessary.)

Cheers,
Boroondas