[opensource-dev] Linux build without the pausing behaviour

Boroondas Gupte sllists at boroon.dasgupta.ch
Mon Mar 28 08:04:21 PDT 2011

On 03/28/2011 04:41 PM, Mike Chase wrote:
> Is there a Linux build of V2 of any version that doesnt exhibit the
> annoying multi-second pauses that freeze the UI?  I find myself without
> any useable V2 viewer at present.  I've tried 2.5.2 and 2.6.3 and both
> still have this issue.
I guess you're seeing the effects of STORM-809
<https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/STORM-809>?

> How in the world did this every get past QA?  It really renders the
> viewer unusable.
The effect of doing blocking domain name lookup is probably less
noticeable the faster the internet connection is. If you even have a
local nameserver which has most queried domains cached, you would hardly
see any difference. (Note that this was even mentioned
<https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/STORM-809?focusedCommentId=241064&page=com.atlassian.jira.plugin.system.issuetabpanels:comment-tabpanel#comment-241064>
as a workaround.)

So it could be that the QA department has such a caching nameserver, at
least somewhere in their LAN, and thus didn't notice this.

Boroondas