[opensource-dev] Linux build without the pausing behaviour

Opensource Obscure opensourceobscure at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 08:59:40 PDT 2011

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 17:04, Boroondas Gupte
<sllists at boroon.dasgupta.ch> wrote:
> On 03/28/2011 04:41 PM, Mike Chase wrote:
>
> Is there a Linux build of V2 of any version that doesnt exhibit the
> annoying multi-second pauses that freeze the UI?  I find myself without
> any useable V2 viewer at present.  I've tried 2.5.2 and 2.6.3 and both
> still have this issue.

I'm currently using the Autobuild development release which has been
mentioned above. Note that in this build some other important features
are broken, at least for me (I don't get any HTTP content). I still use it
because the performances degradation in 2.5 is too annoying to me.

> I guess you're seeing the effects of STORM-809?
>
> How in the world did this every get past QA?  It really renders the
> viewer unusable.
>
> The effect of doing blocking domain name lookup is probably less noticeable
> the faster the internet connection is. If you even have a local nameserver
> which has most queried domains cached, you would hardly see any difference.
> (Note that this was even mentioned as a workaround.)

I installed pdns but Second Life performances didn't improve much.
Geography may have a role here...I have a ~200ms ping time
(minimum) when connecting to Second Life servers. This is common
to all users connecting from Italy, as far as I can tell.

> So it could be that the QA department has such a caching nameserver, at
> least somewhere in their LAN, and thus didn't notice this.

Good point. I suggest they make sure they are NOT using such
a caching system, if it can hide issues as big as this one.

QA department apart, I / we should have done more testing.
I think I remember I had seen this, but I didn't bother to properly
investigate it / compare to other releases / file a report.

--
Opensource Obscure
http://twitter.com/oobscure - http://opensourceobscure.com/lol