[opensource-dev] llGetGeometricCenter

Boroondas Gupte sllists at boroon.dasgupta.ch
Sun Sep 4 12:26:50 PDT 2011

[Crossposting to scripters list, as this is a LSL topic. Tread started
here
<https://lists.secondlife.com/pipermail/opensource-dev/2011-August/007999.html>.]

On 08/31/2011 08:52 PM, Moriz Gupte wrote:
> Hello there,
> I have a question that I am putting here out of desperation because
> nobody seem to know, even the very best experienced folks I could tap
> into.
> What exactly does llGetGeometricCenter do?
SVC-6579 <https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SVC-6579> has allegedly
equivalent LSL code as well as an explanation ("average of centers of
all prims in linkset"). If that is accurate, it probably should be
included in the wiki, as 'geometric center' could also mean the volume
integral over all points within prims of the object or similar.

> 'http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlGetGeometricCenter'
> The entry on the wiki is depressing as this sentence does not mean
> much to me
> 'This is currently (as of 2 December 2010) different from "center" in
> viewer's build tools and what llRezObject
> <http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlRezObject> considers as "center" of
> linkset.'
>
> Usually an entry is meant to help out ... here we have a statement
> saying what some is NOT.
Well, this sentence isn't meant to be the specification, otherwise it
wouldn't be in the 'Caveats' box. The specification part of the wiki
entry is just

    "Returns the vector that is the geometric center of the object
    relative
    <https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Viewer_coordinate_frames#Local> to
    the root prim."

(Which, granted, isn't a much more useful explanation.)

Cheers,
Boroondas