[opensource-dev] Tutorial needed on TPV viewer-side AOs

glen gcanaday at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 09:28:27 PDT 2012

On Sat, 2012-04-14 at 15:59 +1000, Tateru Nino wrote:

> On 14/04/2012 11:09 AM, glen wrote:
> >
> >> I don't really have any insights into the client vs. server vs.
> >> scripted AO debate. I think adding asynchronous events would be a very
> >> good short-to-medium-term solution, and any scripted AO that used them
> >> would probably cause low enough sim load that the whole question could
> >> be punted for a long time. Assuming script load is the reason this is
> >> being considered.
> >>
> > I think we've all gone a bit OT to be honest. All he wanted in the first
> > place was a quick tut on how the existing in-client AOs worked. I'd
> > assume he's considering adding one to the LL client. I agree with Anne
> > that he should probably start with the inworld scripted AOs and then
> > work from there as there are a lot of possibilities.
> That's because the AOs in TPVs are necessarily incomplete - because they
> cannot integrate with the server-side. If Linden Lab *were* considering
> just dropping similar functionality into the viewer without additional
> server-side integration, I'd consider that to only be half a job.
>
> ie: If Linden Lab basically copied what the TPVs do for the official
> viewer then creators would once again likely wind up in the position of
> telling customers "No, you can't use the builtin thingy. You have to use
> the scripted thingy instead, or it won't work properly. Why? Well, it's
> kind of complicated to explain..." That's a point of friction that users
> don't need.

What kind of server-side do you (and others!) really mean? It's been
done the way it currently is (or rather, historically has been) for so
long that I'm actually at a loss as to what the server has to do with it
other than telling other clients "such-and-such is playing this
animation." It's a little difficult for me to fathom what client-server
interaction would be required beyond this.

Maybe I'm just being dense, but beyond a slightly lightened script load
on the server I honestly can't think of any particular advantage to
doing it client-side, or what doing it with a client-side component
would need partner components on the server for.

Maybe it's just me.

--GC