[opensource-dev] Tutorial needed on TPV viewer-side AOs

Stickman stickman at gmail.com
Tue Apr 17 09:36:03 PDT 2012

> What kind of server-side do you (and others!) really mean? It's been
> done the way it currently is (or rather, historically has been) for so
> long that I'm actually at a loss as to what the server has to do with it
> other than telling other clients "such-and-such is playing this
> animation." It's a little difficult for me to fathom what client-server
> interaction would be required beyond this.
>
> Maybe I'm just being dense, but beyond a slightly lightened script load
> on the server I honestly can't think of any particular advantage to
> doing it client-side, or what doing it with a client-side component
> would need partner components on the server for.
>
> Maybe it's just me.

The entire point of client side AOs is to avoid the server. So yes, it
seems odd it would use the server.

However, if no part of the server is used, the clientside AO data is
stored clientside. Log into your account from another computer, and
you no longer have your AOs.

What makes sense is having the client-controlled AO data be stored on
the server so it can travel around with your login. Once you log in,
it's transmitted to the computer and acts and executes on the
clientside, with all the clientside benefits, with the added advantage
of being "backed up" on the server.

The natural continuation of this idea is having it "paired" with
existing outfits, as an inventory object or some other identifier (I
vote for a "gesture" like window where you can assign pre-built
clientside AOs to specific outfits) so when you change outfits, you
can also magically change AOs without effort.

Did I miss anything, or is this what we're getting at with this
ridiculously huge discussion? I admit I haven't been reading
everything.

Stickman