[opensource-dev] Linux toolchain update... testers needed.

Oz Linden (Scott Lawrence) oz at lindenlab.com
Tue Jun 5 12:59:18 PDT 2012

On 2012-06-05 15:31 , Ambrosia wrote:
> Oz, as an aside..
>
> Is there a plan to ever support building non-standalone on Linux 64bit
> without installing 32bit libraries or workarounds? It can be a
> nightmare with some distributions, and being forced to compile it as
> 32bit in 2012 just feels..wrong.
> Pretty much all that blocks it is a lack of differentiation between
> 32bit and 64bit Linux in Autobuild, and offering prebuilt libs that
> got compiled under 64bit once that's in place.

There is no plan to do this.

There is also not a plan not to do it.

I don't know whether or not the new build systems this was created on
are any better set up for 64 bit building than the old one they will
replace were (I'll find out).  However, even if they are, doing the work
to rebuild and retest all the components and the viewer itself is not a
priority for Linden Lab.  If it happens that the build systems are
already going to be 64 bit capable, and some open source developer (or
team) wants to take on doing the job, I can coordinate the requisite access.