[opensource-dev] gcc 4.7.1: lotsa warnings about boost

Henri Beauchamp sldev at free.fr
Sun Jan 6 05:22:26 PST 2013

On Sun, 06 Jan 2013 11:56:31 +0100, Lance Corrimal wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Whenever I'm building the current development source on openSUSE 12.2 (read:
> with gcc 4.7.1) I get lots of warnings about boost-related things. Some of
> them I've been able to correct myself, others I'm stumped... the causes seem
> to be in 3p-boost itself, and i'd rather build with exactly the same libs as
> the lab...
>
> here's one of many examples:
>
> http://paste.opensuse.org/77018665  (it's way too long and unreadable for
> email)
>
> any ideas / tips / hints for me? google results seem to suggest something or
> the other about namespaces...

There is currently a horrible mix of boost libraries versions used to
build Linden's pre-built libraries (leading to many linking conflicts
and errors), not to mention that LL inexplicably migrated (from boost
v1.48 onwards) to shared boost libraries linking for the Linux viewer
builds, resulting in an enormous 20Mb boost regex shared lib to be
included into the Linux viewer package (while only 100Kb or so of this
library's functions are actually used by the viewer: that's INSANE !)...

My advice is therefore to stick with either boost v1.45 (for Linux
and Windows) or v1.48 (for MacOS-X) pre-built libraries, that will
link properly with the rest of LL's pre-built libraries for now.

Henri.